MP oil-water separators are engineered molecular filtration solutions for compressors and the oily condensate discharge problem. MP oil-water separators are filled with a media bed formulated to attract and hold oil (including emulsified lubricant solutions such as polyglycols) and contaminants, while at the same time repelling water molecules.
Compressed air condensate can be a huge environmental headache for today’s manufacturer. Dumping contaminated water is destructive to the environment and can carry very expensive fines.
Alpha-Pure offers innovative solutions that help you attain compliance with today’s most stringent environmental and clean water regulations. This advanced molecular filtration system removes all types of lubricants – including silicone based fluids and emulsified waste - providing a truly scientific solution to a troublesome problem.
No other separator works with emulsified fluids. Period. Molpaks are designed to handle all compressor lubricants without regard to specific gravity, emulsification, or relative humidity. Molpaks are guaranteed to clean compressor condensate to less than 10 ppm for the life of the unit.
Molpaks can be disposed of as non-hazardous special waste provided the liquid has been drained.
There are two main problems caused by dumping oily compressed air condensate:
- Pollution: Just one gallon of compressor lubricant can contaminate up to four acres of ground water. A 100 hp compressor operating 24/7 will carry over 15 gallons of lubricant annually.
- Environmental Liability. It’s illegal to dump oil-laden compressor condensate into the ground or sewer system. The legal limits range between 10 ppm and 100 ppm of allowable lubricant contamination, depending on your location. Typical compressor condensate has 500-3000 ppm of contaminations. The cost of non-compliance is high. Fines, negative publicity and clean up costs add up to tens of thousands of dollars.
Traditional condensate processing is costly … and often ineffective
There are a number of conventional ways to handle oil-laden compressor condensate, however, these alternatives are often expensive and ineffective.
- Condensate can be hauled away by a licensed hazardous waste contractor. This is generally the most costly and time-consuming solution.
- Flotation / Gravity separators are used often used to separate lubricants from water. These devices are not effective in removing emulsified, glycol-based, or non-synthetic lubricants. Flotation separators frequently clog and spill due to mold growth, and e-coli bacteria can form on the water’s surface. In addition, these units must be constantly monitored, and require messy element changes. In many cases, they simply do not work.
- Boil off systems use heat to distill the water, leaving only the contaminant. These systems are notorious for creating fumes and are costly to operate and maintain due to high-energy usage.
Cost-effective. No Elements. No Mess. No Odors.
Molpaks are engineered to minimize maintenance and clean up headaches, operate efficiently in all conditions, and reduce the cost of dealing with wastewater streams.
Unlike gravity oil/water separators that rely on time and element bags as pre-filtration, Molpak units require no elements, pumps, sensors, or pre-separation filter pads. The superior media bed is so efficient that no pre-filtration is needed.
Molpak media beds are the highest quality alumina silicate substrate, the product of a proprietary process and sequence managed under tight quality control processes.
Molpaks media attracts and traps contaminants while repelling water molecules. Water passes through the media bed while the media bed traps the contaminants. Contaminant actually bond to the media bed, virtually eliminating the possibility of ground water contamination from the spent bed.
Laboratory tested, field-proven results
Extensive independent laboratory tests and thousands of real-world installations prove the effective performance of MOLPAKs in handling the following lubricants:
- Diester-based lubricants
- PAO-based lubricants
- Glycol-based lubricants
- Hydraulic lubricants
- Food grade lubricant
- Mineral-based lubricant
- Silicone-based lubricant
MOLPAKs provide cost-effective condensate treatment
MOLPAKs are extremely cost effective. Initial cost is low, installation is easy and maintenance time is practically eliminated. Best of all, disposal cost are drastically reduced.
Sizing information and life expectancy
MOLPAKs are available in three sizes. Select from 15,30 and 55-gallon capacities to meet your specific application. Life expectancy of the MOLPAK depends on the amount of lubricant carryover from the compressor(s). Contaminant absorption capacity is approximately 50% of media bed volume. Therefore, the 15,30 and 55 gallon MOLPAKs have capacities of about 7,15 and 27 gallons of contaminant respectively.
MOLPAKs make disposal easy
In most cases, MOLPAKs can be disposed of as part of your waste management pick up service, provided the proper paperwork is completed. In the event MOLPAKs cannot be disposed of through your normal pick up, Alpha-Pure will accept spent MOLPAKS via our MOLPAK Return program if they were used in normal compressor applications.
Thousands of MOLPAKs are operating successfully in the field and carry this warranty:
MOLPAKs, when properly sized and installed, are guaranteed to reduce the contaminants in your compressor condensate to less than 10 ppm, for the life of the unit. In the event a unit fails while operating in approved conditions and having been properly sized and installed, Alpha-Pure, Inc. will replace the failed MOLPAK or provide a refund through your distributor.